Scholarships in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (S-STEM) Program.
The New Mexico State University (NMSU) S-STEM Program is managed by the NMSU
College of Engineering. Through comprehensive recruiting building on the
state-wide partnership of the New Mexico Alliance for Minority
Participation, the program supports 20 engineering students. Priority is
given to students transferring into the college from one of New Mexico
A selection committee will select students from diverse backgrounds and career goals. The program offers the S-STEM Cohort Academic and Professional Experience (CAPE) providing 1) individualized monitoring, 2) workshops, 3) disciplinary and professional seminars, 4) tutoring, and 5) research opportunities.
The S-STEM Program Goal is to support academic achievement, professional development, workforce preparation, and degree completion of academically talented and financially needy students in engineering, particularly those from underrepresented groups.
• Provide financial support.
• Improve the educational experience by promoting academic excellence and social and professional integration.
• Strengthen synergy between existing programs, industry partnerships, and the NMSU COE.
• Increase participants’ retention and degree completion.
• Improve participants’ professional development.
S-STEM Scholarship Program
Eligible and Requirements:
To participate in the S-STEM program, a student must
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Have full-time enrollment status
- Be a declared major in engineering – the targeted academic program
- Possess U.S. citizenship or status as a national, refugee alien, or permanent resident alien in accordance with Section III C of Program Solicitation NSF 03-501
- Demonstrate financial need in accordance with U.S. Department of Education rules for need-based federal financial aid.
Requirements of S-STEM Scholarship:
- Attend required, program-specific orientations, workshops, seminars etc.
- Must maintain communication with Student Program Coordinator each semester of award. Upon graduation you will also be required to complete a graduate exit interview.
The benefits of participating in the S-STEM program
- Students are provided scholarships of $5,000.00 per student per year for the life of the S-STEM grant (Fall 2008 through Spring 2012, provided they continue to meet all eligibility requirements).
- Students are afforded an easier transition to university life and will be required to participate in the S-STEM Cohort Academic and Professional Experience (CAPE), which may include:
• academic tutoring
• academic and professional workshops and seminars,
• Discipline-specific faculty mentorships, and
• Students are kept aware of existing opportunities, including integrated courses in learning communities; conferences; and industry-sponsored scholarships, co-ops, and internships.
- Students are better prepared to enter the high technology workforce because of the many opportunities for academic and professional growth and development, including career-focused orientation and events.
Back to top